Press "Enter" to skip to content

Boys Varsity Soccer: Beating the Odds

By: Charlie Martin and Zilani Mutinda

Fourteen seniors graduated from the Baltimore City College Boys Varsity Soccer team in 2023. That’s over half of last year’s well-renowned team. This led to many setbacks at the beginning of the 2023 soccer season, but not all hope was lost for this once-prosperous team. 

“Coming into a season without a large amount of our starting lineup… we needed people to take these missing spots”, says captain Julian Koulish, a senior commit to Bard College. Initially, hopes were low at the start of the season. However, many teammates worked hard to meet high expectations set by seniors, and “we managed to finish the season with a positive record”, says Julian. The team started their season off with a bang, winning their first game 11-2, with goals from six different players. This was only the beginning, as they concluded their senior night game with a 9-1 win, with 8 of the 9 goals scored by members of the class of ‘24. 

The team’s four senior captains had a huge role in these victories. Working together, Julian Koulish, Owen Koser, Ben Caplan, and Omenka Onyike helped to build a strong team with even stronger chemistry. Mason Bothner, a right-wing who was promoted to varsity at the end of the last season states, “With the commitment and support of the captains, varsity soccer forced everyone to be challenged. As the only sophomore on varsity, I was led by their example to be confident and step up to the expected levels”. As Koulish looks back over the season, he emphasizes that “it was an honor to share the captaincy with my fellow captains, together we led our team to victory against numerous top-class teams in the Maryland area.” 

The 2023 boys varsity soccer team is a perfect example of hard work, strong leadership, and dedication being the foundation of a successful season. From the start to the end of the season, the expectations towards the team shifted. The leaders on this team ensured that every player would walk away having learned what it takes to be great, setting the next boy’s soccer team up for success and allowing generations of players to carry on this legacy. 

Be First to Comment